Bulgur Breakfast Bowl with Minted Lime Yogurt
Tired of your usual bowl of cereal in the morning? It’s no wonder if you are! You’re taste buds are likely bored after eating the same thing every day for breakfast. Yes, it’s reliable, but is that bowl of flakes filling your “nutritional bucket?” Meaning, is it offering a myriad of nutrients that keep your body fueled to function at its best? Instead of filling that bowl with cereal, why not give yourself a meal that tastes good, fills you up and gives you the energy you need to start your day off right?
This bulgur breakfast bowl with minted lime yogurt is your solution to breakfast boredom. Bulgur is a quick-quicking form of whole wheat, making it a great, nutritious grain for the morning. You can get the bulgur cooking before you take your shower and by the time you get out, it’ll be done. I’ve boosted the flavor and antioxidant power by adding a touch of ground cinnamon. Topping it with hemp seeds and toasted almonds adds protein, fiber and healthy fat. And don’t forget the yogurt! It’s simple to make too; just a quick blend of plain, low-fat Greek yogurt (a yummy source of protein and good-for-your-gut bacteria), fresh lime juice, mint and a touch of honey. Fresh cantaloupe and mint add a sweet, refreshing finish, and more nutritional punch!
So go ahead, make a bowl for yourself and skip the flakes this time!
A hearty breakfast bowl loaded with protein and fiber to keep you going until lunch!
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- pinch of Kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint, divided
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1/2 ounce toasted, almonds, chopped (about 12-13 almonds)
- 1/4 cup diced cantaloupe
- To cook the bulgur: Place the bulgur in a medium bowl and stir in the salt and cinnamon. Heat the milk in a microwave safe cup until just boiling, about 1 1/2 minutes at high heat. Pour the milk over the bulgur, stir then cover immediately with a lid or plastic wrap. Let stand, covered, for about 20 minutes.
- For the minted lime yogurt: In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the Greek yogurt, lime juice, honey and half of the mint.
- To make the bowl: Uncover the bulgur and fluff with a fork. Top with the hemp seeds, almonds and cantaloupe, then top with the minted lime yogurt and garnish with remaining mint.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 356
- Sugar: 14
- Sodium: 242
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 11
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 47
- Protein: 16
- Cholesterol: 8