Chocolate Chip Banana Granola
Every now and again I get inspired to make granola. Especially after going to the grocery store and seeing the cost of the store-bought stuff. Can an 8 ounce bag really be 8 dollars? Oh my! That’s when I turn to my kitchen, because I know I can make granola. And I know a little sous chef that can help me make it! And this time, I went all out. Yup, I made seriously delicious Chocolate Chip Banana Granola! Want the recipe? I thought so. Heeeeere you go!
More Granola Please
When did my love for granola begin? I have no idea. I never had it as a kid, and I don’t really remember having it until I was in my 20’s. But once I tasted it, I knew it was a good thing. And I ate plenty of it! Mmmmm, so delicious! Wait, what? I shouldn’t eat the whole bag? Oh dear. Well, I did that plenty of times and if given the right opportunity, I’d do it again.
But dang, buying it just doesn’t make sense. It’s either inexpensive and loaded with junk (therefore not worth the purchase) or it’s super expensive and loaded with delicious things that shouldn’t cost so much. So my solution? That’s right, spend my money on the ingredients to make a plethora of it in my kitchen.
Disclaimer, NOT a Health Food
First of all, I really dislike the phrase “health food.” Who came up with that anyway. Yuck. But seriously, people mistake granola as this super healthy, nutritious food that they can just eat and eat. Folks, granola is not salad, ok? It’s made with some seriously calorically-dense stuff. That means a little goes a long way. And this Chocolate Chip Banana Granola means business too. So keep the portion small and just enjoy every bite!
Make It Yourself
Now go ahead. Go on. You know you want to make this! So do it! If you find you lack self control, pre-portion so that you don’t over-eat. And remember, just savor it and enjoy every bite. Because granola is good and so are you!!
Want more granola? How about a granola bar? Thought so, check out my recipe for Cranberry Pumpkin Granola Bars!
Chocolate Chip Banana Granola
This is tasty
- Yield: 8 cups
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons butter (or vegetable oil, coconut oil, etc)
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried bananas, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (bonus if you can find dark chocolate chips!)
- Preheat oven to 325’F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the oats, nuts, cinnamon and salt to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Melt the butter and honey in a small saucepot over low heat. Take off from the heat, whisk in the vanilla, then pour over the dry ingredients. Stir to combine, making sure oat mixture is well coated.
- Spread the oat mixture onto a baking sheet in an even layer and bake about 20-25 minutes or until golden, rotating pan once halfway through baking time.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once cool, break into clumps and add bananas and chocolate chips.
- Cool completely before storing.
Use a well-sealed container for keeping the granola fresh.
Use within 1 week.