Banana bread gets a nourishing boost with oats and flax seed! This Chocolate Oat Banana Bread makes for an awesome snack or breakfast!
- 3 large, ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk or non-dairy beverage
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup oats, pulsed a few times in a food processor or spice grinder
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350’F and coat an 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the peeled bananas in a large bowl and mash the bananas with a fork. Add the oil, egg, milk, vanilla extract and sugar to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, oats, flax, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Add to the egg mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and then pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes, then remove it and slice.
- Don’t have oat flour? You can make your own! Just process old fashioned oats in a food processor until it resembles flour. That’s it!
- It may seem like a lot of ingredients, but I promise that’s what makes this bread so delicious and filling! Give it a try and feel free to make your own adjustments too!