Wishing you had an appetizer that was easy to make, tasted delicious and was fun to eat? Well you do! These Homemade Holiday Empanadas festively tasty!
For the dough:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ + 1 tablespoon water, ice cold
For the filling:
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, small dice
- ½ small Granny Smith apple, finely chopped
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cooked and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
For the egg wash:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
For the dipping sauce:
- 2 tablespoons German mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- To make the dough: Place the all purpose flour, white whole wheat flour and salt in a food processor and pulse 2-3 times to combine. Add the butter and pulse until it resembles coarse sand. Add the egg and water and pulse just until dough starts to come together. Remove dough from the food processor to a lightly floured work surface. Shape dough into a disc. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day, if working in advance.
- To make the filling: Combine the cheese, apple, bacon and walnuts in a small mixing bowl.
- To make the empanadas: Preheat the oven to 400’F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Divide the dough into 18 roughly, equal-sized balls. Working with one piece of dough at a time, on a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 4-inch round. Place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of the round, then, using a clean finger, brush edges with water to help seal. Fold dough in half, over the filling, then pinch and seal the edges. Transfer to the prepared pan and press edges down with the tines of a fork. Continue with the remaining dough and filling.
- To make the egg wash: Whisk the remaining egg with the water. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush egg wash on tops of empanadas.
- Bake empanadas for 25 minutes or until golden.
- While empanadas are baking, combine the mustard and honey in a small bowl to make the dipping sauce.
- Remove empanadas from the oven and serve with dipping sauce.