Mexican Wedding Cookies
Every year Mother’s Day rolls around and I always find myself asking, “what am I going to get my mom?” I start feeling anxious about it too. I mean, is there really any gift that encapsulates the love I feel for this amazing woman? So you see, nothing ever seems adequate. This year I started to get that anxious feeling and then, by some grace of God, I felt a wave of calm wash over me. A voice telling me to sit down and reflect. So I did…and Mexican Wedding Cookies came to mind.
Mexican Wedding Cookies? Yes, let me explain. My mom is an awesome woman (I’m sure you all feel this way about your moms too!)! She gave up so much of her life so that my brother and me would have an awesome childhood. She put us first, ALWAYS. And I promise you, that woman made me feel (and still makes me feel) so incredibly loved and adored. My memories of that love are so powerful and strong. And this is what I felt come over me during that reflection…that love, that pure mother’s love. So, instead of worrying about the perfect gift because there is no perfect gift, I thought I would share a very special recipe.
Mexican Wedding Cookies
For years I can remember my grandma (my mom’s mom) making Mexican Wedding Cookies for Christmas and other holidays. They were so yummy. The perfect balance of salty and sweet. And I knew my mom loved them. A few years back, my grandma gave me a bunch of her recipes (wrote them all out by hand!) and in that batch was the Mexican Wedding Cookies! I cherish this little book so much. And so I pulled out, found that recipe and got baking. I made a few tweaks, but I think she’d still approve.
Happy Mother’s Day!
So to honor my grandmother and my mother, I am sharing this recipe for Mexican Wedding Cookies. Make a batch and share them with your mother. I bet she’ll like them too!!! And if you get a minute, drop a line in the comments section below about why you love your momma!
A tribute to my beautiful mother and grandmother! These little cookies are tiny, but mighty in terms of deliciousness!
- 1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour, lightly scooped
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour, lightly scooped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350’F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter until light and smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the salt, vanilla and 1/4 cup confectioners sugar. Beat 1 minute or until well combined. Add the flours and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again, add the pecans and mix at low speed until mixed.
- Portion 1 tablespoon of dough and shape into a ball then place on prepared pan. Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
- Transfer of the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and toss gently in the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners sugar. Transfer to a cooling rack. Wait for them to cool slightly, then toss them again.
- EAT! 🙂