Pistachio Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
“I received free samples of Wonderful Pistachios mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Wonderful Pistachios and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not com- pensated for my time.”
You know what tastes good? Pistachios inside pancakes! That’s right! If you’re looking for a way to “up” your pancake game, it’s time you added some pistachios to your pancake batter! Don’t know how to do that? Well, that’s why I’m here! I jammed plenty of pistachio goodness into these Pistachio Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes!
Pistachios inside my pancakes?
Yes, you read that correctly. Pistachios IN your pancakes! To make these buttermilk pancakes, you’ll be grinding some of them and then chopping some more and then adding them all to your pancake batter. And you’re going to love it. For many reasons. First, pistachios are a super nutritious nut. Yahoo! They’re not called “The Colorful NutTM” for nothing! That lovely green and red-purple hues indicate there are plenty of fabulous antioxidants kicking around in there. And we could all use more of those! And did I mention, they’re also known as “The Happy NutTM?” How can you not love that? Happy because of how you feel (inside and out) when you eat them. What beats that naturally sweet flavor and delicious crunch!?
Sara, there’s NO sugar in these buttermilk pancakes!
Aha! You skipped to the recipe didn’t you? Well, the secret is out and you’re correct. There is no added sugar in these pancakes. And guess what? You don’t need it. These pancakes get a subtle, natural sweetness from the ground and chopped pistachios in the batter. Pair that with the sweet flavors coming from the orange zest and spices, and I promise you won’t miss the added sugar.
Just For Breakfast?
These pancakes are so good that I recommend trying them at any meal. They’re delicious topped with Greek yogurt and fruit. Or go the savory route and top with a poached egg and a light drizzle of tahini. You can even enjoy these pancakes as a snack – a lovely combination of whole grains, healthy fats and protein! Sounds like the perfect fuel for that after-work cycling class!
Sara, I need more pancakes!
I hear you, pancakes are the best. After you’ve tried these, go ahead try a few of my other favorites.
Ground pistachios in pancakes tastes pretty fabulous! Try these flavorful pancakes for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even snack!
- ¾ cup lightly salted shelled Wonderful pistachios
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- In a spice/coffee grinder or small food processor, process ¼ cup of the pistachios until finely ground. Finely chop the remaining pistachios and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground pistachios, flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cardamom, salt and sugar.
- in a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, oil and zest.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix. Fold in chopped pistachios. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large non-stick pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Once hot, spray with non-stick cooking spray and drop pancakes onto hot pan using a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Cook on the first side until batter begins to bubble, then flip and cook the other side an additional 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve topped with fresh fruit, such as orange segments.
For additional sweetness, add 1 tablespoon granulated sugar to the batter.
Pancakes can also be topped with confectioner’s sugar or a drizzle of maple syrup.