Pumpkin spice isn’t just for sweet dishes! You’ll love this blend of spices when cooked with red lentils, yummy aromatics and pumpkin to make this Pumpkin Spice Lentil Soup!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ white onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2-inch knob ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 cup plain, pureed pumpkin
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 packed teaspoons brown sugar
- plain Greek yogurt, for serving
- chopped pistachios, for serving
- Set a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Once hot, add the onion and carrots and cook until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic, cook an additional minute, until fragrant. Add the spices and stirring constantly, cook for one minute. Stir in the lentils, pumpkin puree and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until lentils are tender, about 40-45 minutes.
- Working in batches, carefully puree the soup until smooth. Stir in the vinegar and thin with extra broth or water, if desired. Serve garnished with yogurt and pecans.