Pumpkin perfection! A great snack or ending to a meal, these muffins are a delightful, lightly sweetened pumpkin treat.
For the streusel
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar (or 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
For the muffins
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, lightly spooned into measuring cups
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour, lightly spooned into measuring cups
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (I use salted) and cooled
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- Preheat the oven to 350’F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Make the streusel: place the sugar, butter and pepitas in a small mixing bowl. Using the back of a fork, smash the butter and the pumpkin seeds into the sugar, working until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, pumpkin, melted butter and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients, and using a wooden spoon or other large mixing spoon, mix just until ingredients are combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Can’t eat them all? No problem! Place them in a freezer bag and store them in there until you’re ready to enjoy them again.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 219
- Fat: 6
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 29