A simply healthy and delicious recipe that can add flavor to anything from rice dishes to beans.
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed and cut into 2-inch planks
- 3 cubanelle peppers, seeded, stemmed and cut into 2-inch planks
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head garlic, loose, papery leaves removed
- 1 cup cilantro, washed
- Preheat the oven to 425’F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Toss the red bell pepper, cubanelle peppers and onion with half of the olive oil in a large bowl. Spread out in an even layer onto the baking sheet.
- Slice off the top of the head of garlic to expose the cloves. Place the garlic with the cut end up on a piece of foil then drizzle with the remaining oil. Fold up the sides of the foil and loosely close at the top. Place on the sheet pan or directly on the rack in the oven.
- Roast vegetables for 30minutes or until tender, stirring the pepper and onion mixture halfway through cooking time.
- Allow the vegetables to cool slightly. Transfer the peppers and onions to a blender. Squeeze the roasted garlic into the blender and add the cilantro. Blend for about 1 minute, processing until slightly smooth, preserving some of the texture.
- Use immediately or freeze for later use
- Makes approximately 1 cup sofrito.
- Calories: 319
- Sugar: 25
- Sodium: 32
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 12
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 41
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 0