Whole Grain Banana Nut Muffins…That Aren’t Dry
In celebration of our Fertility Friday series, I made muffins! And not just any muffins, but Whole Grain Banana Nut Muffins! Why the celebration you ask? Because infertility is tough and sometimes, you just need a celebration (distraction) and a muffin.
Celebrate Good Times
Life is good, so spend more time focusing on what I like to call “The Good Stuff.” Yes, I know it’s super easy to fall into the trap of feeling sorry for yourself. But that “woe-as-me” attitude is no good at all and doesn’t do anything to make you feel better. And that’s why I challenge you, during your infertility journey (or life’s journey, in general) to focus on the Good Stuff. The Good Stuff is a collective term for all of the AMAZING things you’ve got going on in your life. When you focus on the good, you’ll be amazed how much better you’ll feel.
Celebrate Good Times with Good Food
Did you hear the “Good Stuff” about how Liz Shaw and myself are writing a book about fertility, nutrition and food? Oh yes we are, brace yourselves people. From working together, we’ve realized a few things. First, we’ve realized the importance of a good laugh. Indeed, so important! How else can you get through the hard moments? And I’m lucky, because the good times never end when Liz Shaw is in your life. I can’t tell you how many times her emojis or forwarded links have literally brought me to tears from laughter. That girl knows how to let the good times roll. Second, we’ve learned that good food matters. Not too surprising, right? But, that’s part of the reason we’re writing this book! We know the power of good nutrition on health and fertility and we’re celebrating that in our book.
Celebration Whole Grain Banana Nut Muffins
So to celebrate all of the amazing-ness that is culminating right now, I made muffins. Whole Grain Banana Nut Muffins, to be exact! Make a batch or two, light a candle, focus on some of “The Good Stuff” in your life and Celebrate!!!
Looking for a super-tender, whole grain snack? Then these whole grain banana nut muffins are for you!
- 1 cup lightly scooped white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup lightly scooped whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 medium very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- turbinado sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375’F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, mashed bananas, egg, sugar and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently stir in chopped nuts. Garnish tops with a sprinkle of turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Fill muffin cups half full and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in tin for at least 10 minutes before enjoying.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 193
- Sugar: 12
- Sodium: 262
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 16