A Cooking Demonstration at Athleta Chicago
Mark your calendars! On January 15, 2015 from 6-8pm I will be at the Athleta store on Southport Avenue in Chicago. Come and be a part of this special cooking demo designed to inspire awesome women athletes to get cooking.
I’ll be making the soup below and you can enter for the chance to win an awesome gift basket and other athletic-inspired prizes! Cheers to a healthy 2015!
Red Lentil and Curry Soup
Red lentil soup made with warm spices and fresh ginger.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils (pick over to ensure no debris or rocks)
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sriracha, to taste
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until they are soft and slightly translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, curry and cumin and sauté another 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon stick, lentils and chicken broth to the pot and stir. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and allow the soup to simmer, partially covered for about 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Take the soup off of the heat. Remove half of the soup and allow to cool slightly* or until warm to the touch. Keep the other half warm on the stove. Place the cooled soup in a blender (or process with a hand mixer) and pulse until pureed. Stir pureed mixture back into pot of soup and turn the flame back to medium. Add the lemon juice and stir well until hot.
- To serve, place the soup in bowls and garnish with cilantro and sriracha.servings
- *It is not advised to puree hot items in a blender due to the pressure generated from the steam. Be safe and allow your soup to cool slightly to prevent injuring yourself.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 557
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 189
- Fat: 17
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 11
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32
- Protein: 67
- Cholesterol: 166