Red lentil soup made with warm spices and fresh ginger.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils (pick over to ensure no debris or rocks)
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sriracha, to taste
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until they are soft and slightly translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, curry and cumin and sauté another 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon stick, lentils and chicken broth to the pot and stir. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and allow the soup to simmer, partially covered for about 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Take the soup off of the heat. Remove half of the soup and allow to cool slightly* or until warm to the touch. Keep the other half warm on the stove. Place the cooled soup in a blender (or process with a hand mixer) and pulse until pureed. Stir pureed mixture back into pot of soup and turn the flame back to medium. Add the lemon juice and stir well until hot.
- To serve, place the soup in bowls and garnish with cilantro and sriracha.servings
- *It is not advised to puree hot items in a blender due to the pressure generated from the steam. Be safe and allow your soup to cool slightly to prevent injuring yourself.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 557
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 189
- Fat: 17
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 11
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32
- Protein: 67
- Cholesterol: 166