It’s easy to reach for a pre-made snack. I know because I reach for them all of the time. And while I love them, I love the taste of a good, homemade snack better. And this Apple Walnut Snack Cake is no exception! It’s a simple recipe that EVERYONE in your house will soon claim as their favorite!
- 1 ¼ cups lightly scooped whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ cup no-sugar-added applesauce
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ½ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped, toasted California Walnuts
- 1 cup grated, sweet, but firm apple (such as fuji)
- Preheat the oven to 350’F. Coat a 8×8-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Allow for a bit of overhang to make for easy removal after cooking.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the oil, applesauce, egg and brown sugar. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined (DO NOT OVERMIX). Fold in the walnuts and apples. Pour into prepared pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Category: Snack
Keywords: snack, snack cake