Muffins go fast around my house. And these are no exception. Applesauce keeps these muffins moist and little bits of cranberry and fresh, Granny Smith apple equals pure deliciousness!
- 1 cup lightly scooped white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup lightly scooped whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated Granny Smith apple
- 1/4 cup cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, (optional)
- turbinado sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375’F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, applesauce, egg, sugar and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently stir in apple and chopped nuts. Garnish tops with a sprinkle of turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Fill muffin cups three quarters of the way full and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in tin for at least 10 minutes before enjoying.