Boring beans? Not these Bacon Borracho Beans! Dry beans are transformed into something magical when infused with bacon and garlic!
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, sorted and picked over, soaked overnight
- 3 slices center-cut bacon, diced
- 1/2 small white onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- limes, cut into wedges for serving
- cilantro, for garnishing
- Drain the pinto beans, discarding the liquid.
- Set a large pot over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook, stirring frequently until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in garlic, salt, and beans. Cover with 8 cups of water, stir and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover with a lid and cook 30-40 minutes, or until beans are tender.
- Stir in the chili powder, coriander and cumin and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with lime wedges and cilantro.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes + overnight soak
- Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup