Banana Pecan Chocolate Chip Muffins
I’m in love with muffins. I always have been and I always will be. But, I have to admit, I’m a bit of a muffin snob. I want something that’s full of flavor, but doesn’t leave a greasy film on my hands or tongue after eating. Know what I mean? Well, I’m happy to announce that these Banana Pecan Chocolate Muffins check all the boxes!
FILL YOUR LIFE WITH MUFFINS
I don’t know, probably no one has ever given you this advice, so let me be the first. I suggest you fill your life with muffins. Muffins that taste good and muffins that make you happy. Because really, life is too short not to. When I was a kid those little bags of mini muffins were a huge deal. If you had that in your lunch bag, I mean, your life was pretty darn good. I’m sure if I had one of those now I would be like, “what is this nonsense!?” Or actually, I’d probably say, “wow! these are actually good.” Ha! Just so we’re clear, I grew up on muffins and I have almost always enjoyed every bite. UNTIL.
Can we all just say this together, “ewwwwwww!” I have YET to have a muffin deemed “healthy” that actually tastes good and doesn’t have the texture of what I imagine a block of cat litter would feel like. Extreme? Yes, okay. But I’m honestly tired of everyone trying to make everything healthy. It’s OKAY if your muffin isn’t full of matcha or pea protein or whatever health food is being pushed at the moment. It’s a MUFFIN!!! It was never meant to be healthy. I guess what I’m saying is, if you want a healthy muffin, you won’t find it here. HOWEVER, you will find a muffin that isn’t loaded with crap here either. Instead of relying on a bunch of sugar to make my muffins yummy, I use things like cinnamon and vanilla extract. Ingredients that complement the natural sweetness of those bananas and pecans. Because ultimately, I’m all about YUMMY!
EAT THESE BANANA PECAN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
I mean, really. Eat them. Eat them now because in the blink of an eye, your family will have devoured them and you won’t have any left for you. So maybe just make two batches. One for you, one for the rest of your brood. You’ll be glad you did! And hey, when you make these, be sure to snap a pic and show me your fabulous success story! Share it on Instagram and tag me (@cookinRD) so that I can send you a virtual hug! Because we’re friends like that!
Banana Pecan Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
Cozy ripe bananas, toasted pecans and semi-sweet chocolate morsels make these Banana Pecan Chocolate Chip Muffins a joyous eating occasion.
- 1 cup lightly scooped whole wheat flour
- ½ cup lightly scooped all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or canola/vegetable oil)
- 3 medium very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- turbinado sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425’F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Whisk the egg in the bottom of a medium bowl. Stir in the oil, mashed bananas, sugar and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently stir in chopped nuts and chocolate chips. Fill prepared muffin cups three-quarters full with batter. Garnish tops with a sprinkle of turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Leave muffins in the oven, but turn the heat down to 375’F and bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool in tin on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Remove from the tin and allow them to finish cooling on the rack before enjoying.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @COOKINRD on Instagram!