An easy whole grain waffle recipe that makes a big batch of waffles perfect for now…or later!
- 1 cup whole-wheat or other whole grain flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, cooled (or 1/4 cup canola oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup blueberries or chopped strawberries
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milks, butter, vanilla and brown sugar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Note that the batter will be slightly lumpy. Gently stir in chosen “mix-ins.”
- Cook waffles following waffle iron manufacturer’s instructions.
- To freeze: Allow waffles to cool to room temperature then place in a freezer bag. Separate the layers of waffles with parchment paper or foil. Label the bag and freeze.
- To reheat: Remove waffles from the freezer and place directly in the toaster or toaster oven. Toast and enjoy.
- Makes 12 Belgian-style waffles
- You can substitute whole wheat flour for the whole wheat pastry flour
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 14
- Sodium: 365
- Fat: 13
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 51
- Protein: 11
- Cholesterol: 76