BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
I’m all about throwing meals together these days. It’s always a “what’s kicking in the fridge/pantry/freezer” situation. But from the chaos, usually comes success! Like THIS recipe for BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes!
Use What You’ve Got
I’m a big fan of using up the food you already have. In fact, many of my favorite recipes are born from this exact concept. Sometimes it’s just a matter of survival. Other times, it can be kind of a fun game. Regardless, it teaches you how to be a better cook and problem solver. You have to think creatively using what you’ve got!
That Means Keeping it Simple Too
I’m also a big fan of simplicity. I don’t have 5 hours to create a meal every day. I have never had the time for that and likely never will. But that’s cool. Because ultimately, I’m a simple gal and I like simple food. So I utilize the slow cooker (like in this recipe) and I batch-cook food like beans and I’ll grill a bunch of stuff on the weekend and freeze it for when I need meals fast. Why work harder, when you can work more simply. 🙂
Now You Make It
I love these stuffed sweet potatoes. Not just because of the reasons I mention above, but also because I love all of the flavors in it! And it’s so darn satisfying, AND FULL OF VEGETABLES! I bet you’ll like it too. And like most of my recipes, remember, it’s completely customizable! Change up ingredients to suit your preference and your family’s preferences. All good! So now it’s time to set you free! Enjoy and let me know how you like it!
All of the flavors you love…stuffed in a sweet potato! These BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are the perfect weeknight dinner!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or sliced
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 2 ears corn, cooked or 1 cup cooked sweet corn
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons + ¼ cup chopped chives or green onions
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil mayo
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (or distilled vinegar)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork and place in the bottom of a slow cooker that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray. Cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or on high heat for about 4 hours, or until tender.
- Just before potatoes are done cooking, make the buttermilk dressing. Whisk together the mayo, buttermilk, lemon juice, garlic, onion powder, parsley, salt, black pepper and 2 tablespoons chives.
- Heat the BBQ sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Turn heat to low and let cook until heated through, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Carefully slice open each potato lengthwise and stuff with chicken mixture. Top with corn, bell pepper, beans, tomatoes, chives and cheese. Drizzle with buttermilk* dressing.
*Want to save time? Swap prepared buttermilk ranch dressing for the homemade version here.