Berry Crumble Bars
I love most fruit. Not really surprising there. But berries have a special place in my heart. Maybe because they are so incredibly beautiful and fragile. Or maybe it’s because when they’re ripe, they’re just pure fabuloulness! And after I’ve filled my belly with them in their whole form, I like to turn the extra into these Berry Crumble Bars!
Let’s Get Baking
You may not love baking, and I get that, but this baking is EASY baking. And the reward is something delicous. Your berries in baked form! Woo hoo!
Berry Crumble Bars
I’m a big fan of bar recipes. Why? Because they look pretty without much effort. What’s not to love about that? The bar form means you just layer stuff on and bake. Totally not complicated and certainly NOT pretentious.
Now It’s YOUR Turn
That’s right, there’s not much else to say. This recipe is super simple and you’ve likely got most of the ingredients in your kitchen. So get busy turning those berries into magic!
Turn those berries into bars! Delicious fresh (or frozen!) fruit can easily be tranformed into these delicious, easy-to-make Berry Crumble Bars!
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 2 heaping cups raspberries & chopped strawberries*
- ¼ cup granulated sugar or 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350’F and line an 8×8-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil just over the sides of the pan and spray with cooking spray.
- Place the oats in the bowl of a food processor and process until it looks like coarse flour, about 10 seconds. Add the flour, brown sugar, salt and baking powder to the oats in the food processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and process until mixture resembles wet sand, about 20-25 seconds. Set 3/4 cup of the mixture aside and press the remaining mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While crust is baking, prepare the filling. In a mixing bowl, combine the berries, honey, cornstarch and lemon zest and toss to combine. Spoon mixture evenly over the baked crust then sprinkle the top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until top is golden. Cool completely before slicing.
*Any combination of berries or stone fruit will work here.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: berry, crumble bars