This delightfully healthy dish comes together fast and it not only looks beautiful, but tastes great too.
For the salad
- 1 ear of fresh corn, shucked and cleaned (or about 1 cup corn kernels)
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or any other bean will work here too)
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded, stemmed and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, stemmed and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
For the dressing
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
To prepare the salad
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the corn and return to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, then drain and rinse the corn under cold water to stop the cooking process. Pat dry and when cool enough to touch, cut kernels from the cob and add to a large serving or mixing bowl.
- To the same bowl with the corn, add the beans, peppers, onion, cilantro and jalapeño, if you’re using it. Toss to combine.
For the dressing
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the mustard, lime zest, lime juice and honey. Whisk in the olive oil.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to evenly coat the beans and vegetables. Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. Toss again before serving.
- This recipe makes between 7 1/2 and 8 cups salad.
- You don’t have to let this salad sit in the fridge before digging in, but it does taste so much better when you do!
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 140
- Fat: 10
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 0