Earthy black beans taste delicious when whipped into a soup roasted sweet potatoes, carrots and celery!
- 3 medium ribs of celery, large dice
- 2 medium carrots, large dice
- 1 medium sweet potato, large dice
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup black lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 425’F.
- Place the lentils, water and garlic in a saucepot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover partially and cook, 35 to 40 minutes, until lentils are tender. Drain any excess water.
- Toss the celery, carrots and sweet potato with the oil and spread out onto a large, rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring once halfway through cooking time.
- Carefully add the roasted veggies and broth to the drained lentils. Using an immersion blender, pulse the soup a few times to create a thicker soup while also leaving some pieces intact. This can also be done in a blender, simply remove about 1/3 of the soup and puree, then add back to the pot. Add the vinegar and the salt and pepper.
- Portion soup into bowls and garnish with fresh basil. For an added boost of creaminess, stir in a bit of plain Greek yogurt
- Category: soup