Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes
For some reason, I really love breakfast food. Eggs, bacon, pancakes and all of it just makes me so happy. Perhaps that’s why you’ll find so many breakfast recipes on my site! Ha! And now, since it’s officially (ok, unofficially) PUMPKIN season, I had to whip up some Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes. And of course, I had to share the recipe with you!
More Pancakes, Please!
When I was little, pancakes were a rare food on our breakfast table. We all loved them, but my mom sure didn’t love making them. And no offense to my awesome mom, but she just wasn’t much of a pancake maker. Sure, she tried, but it usually involved a box or that weird plastic bottle that you add ingredients and shake. Ironically, I thought those were the only types of pancakes out there, besides the ones you could order at restaurants. I had no idea that people even MADE pancakes from SCRATCH!
Pancakes, Easy To Make, Easy To Love
Flash forward several years when I first set out on my own. I still bought the boxed stuff and thought nothing of it. It was easy, I was hungry and I didn’t have much money. Done. Then, when I started getting more interested in cooking, I thought I would try pancakes. I mean, they seemed easy enough. And you know what I found out? They ARE super easy to make! Well, that changed everything. No more boxes for me. It’s all about the scratch pancakes at my house!
Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes
And that brings me to these Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes. Besides loving breakfast food, I love pumpkin. So why not combine the two? These are the perfect treat on a cool, fall day, but they’re also amazing for a weeknight “brinner.” Like all good pancakes, these come together quickly, especially if you’ve got little hands that can help you! I always enlist the help of my little sous chef to help with all of the stirring.
Sure you are! Go ahead, you have my permission to go and get yourself a can of pureed pumpkin, it’s time! Whip up a batch of these pancakes and let me know how you like them in the comments section below! Happy Pancake-ing! Need more pancake recipes? Check out my Super Easy Graham Pancakes or my Carrot Cake Pancakes.Print
Pancakes are delicious! But Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes are even more delicious! Light and fluffy, yet full of pumpkin flavor, these are sure to become a household favorite!
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk*
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, pumpkin, oil and brown sugar. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and stir gently until combined.
- Heat a large non-stick pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Once hot, spray with non-stick cooking spray and drop pancakes onto hot pan using a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Cook on the first side until batter begins to bubble, then flip and cook the other side an additional 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
*To make buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon distilled vinegar to a 2 cup measuring cup. Add milk to make 1 3/4 cup.
If you don’t have almond flour, you can replace it with an equal amount of any other type of flour.