Waffles with a whole wheat twist!
- 3 cups low-fat buttermilk, room temp
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 packed tablespoons light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
Whisk the buttermilk, egg, vanilla and brown sugar together in a medium bowl. Stir in the butter. Set aside.
Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a separate, large bowl. Add the wet mixture all at once and stir until batter is just combined. A few lumps are cool! Let batter rest 10 minutes.
Preheat your waffle iron. Brush lightly with oil (canola, avocado, grapeseed all work) and fill with batter, following manufacturer’s instructions. Repeat with remaining batter.
Waffles are best served right out of the waffle iron. Otherwise, cool on a wire rack to prevent them from getting soft and soggy.
Keywords: waffles, whole wheat, buttermilk