The homemade crust is partially made with whole wheat flour, which makes for a satisfying complement to that southwest-inspired filling. Expect plenty of flavor from Cabot Vermont Sharp cheddar cheese, green chiles and chorizo sausage!
For the crust
¾ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons shortening
6 tablespoons cold butter, diced small*
3–4 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 ounces chorizo sausage, casings removed
2 green onions, thinly sliced (save green tops for garnish)
1 (4 oz) can green chiles
1 cup frozen chopped spinach
1 cup shredded Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar Cheese
4 large eggs
1 ¼ cups 2 % milk
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
½ teaspoon lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Combine the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut the shortening and butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or fork, until it’s crumbly. Add the cold water, starting with 3 tablespoons and toss with a fork. Pinch mixture with your fingers, if it holds together, it’s ready to be shaped into a disk. If it doesn’t stay together, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 375’F.
- Roll dough out into a 12-inch round and transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Press the dough into the pie plate, fold under any excess dough on the edges and crimp. Cover with foil, add pie weights or beans and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and cool for 15 minutes (you’ll use this time to make the filling!). Increase oven temperature to 400’F.
- Heat the oil in a large (12-inch) skillet set over medium heat. Add the chorizo and saute, breaking up any large pieces, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add the green onions and cook 1 minute. Stir in the chiles and spinach and cook until mixture no longer looks wet, about 8 minutes.
- Spoon cooked fillings in baked shell and top with cheese. Combine eggs and milk in a large mixing bowl, season with salt. Pour mixture over the top of fillings and bake until center is set, about 35-40 minutes.
- While quiche bakes, make the topping. Combine the tomatoes, lime zest, lime juice, sliced green onion tops and cilantro. Toss to combine and season to taste.
- Cool before slicing. Garnish with fresh tomato salsa.
If you’re not up for making the dough, go ahead and buy pre-made. If possible, go for a whole wheat crust for heartier flavor.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Quiche