- 16 lasagna noodles, cooked (cut in half, put half on bottom, then add second layer)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (5 ounce) bag baby spinach
- 2 links (about ½ pound) Italian turkey sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375’F and coat a 9×13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook the pasta in large Dutch oven following package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place noodles on parchment paper to cool. Separate layers with extra parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Heat the oil in the now empty Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan along with the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes, Add the sausage and cook, stirring to crumble, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute then stir in tomato paste and cook until deep reddish-brown, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, ¼ teaspoon salt, crushed red pepper and Italian seasoning, turn heat to medium-low and cook 15 minutes.
- While sauce cooks, prepare the ricotta mixture. Roughly chop the cooked spinach then add to a bowl along with the ricotta, nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon salt, pepper and ¾ cups shredded cheese.
- Stir vinegar into sauce then spread half of the mixture on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Place 1 cooked noodle on a clean work surface and spread 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture over the top. Roll up, then slice in half horizontally. Place each half in the pan, nestled in the sauce. Repeat with remaining noodles and ricotta.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Garnish with fresh basil and extra sauce before serving.
Note: Sub any 24-ounce jar of your favorite pasta sauce for homemade sauce to save time.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes