Chickpea Hummus Wrap
“Simplify, simplify, simplify!” Henry D. Thoreau, eloquently and prophetically proclaimed in his famous work, Walden.
That demand to simplify seems even more relevant today than it likely was in 1854, when Walden was first published. How many of us challenge that decree everyday? Adding more things that instead “complicate, complicate, complicate!” Ugh. Thoreau’s mantra is one I’m trying (somewhat successfully) to practice in my daily life. I’m not taking the easy way, but the smart, simpler way. Case in point, I recently got so frustrated with making healthy lunches for my family. PB&J was in the lunch box more than I would’ve liked. Of course there’s nothing wrong with that sandwich, but variety is a good thing.
Inspired by Thoreau, I decided to “simplify” lunch.
And with this Chickpea Hummus Wrap, I simplified on execution, but didn’t sacrifice taste or flavor! Yay! It all starts with a whole grain wrap and continues with layers of flavor. Canned chickpeas and pre-washed baby arugula keep things easy and fast. Flavor boosters like feta cheese and pepitas add a simple, yet tasty addition.
Luckily, the Recipe Redux theme for this month was how to get out of our “lunch rut.” How appropriate! Fortunately I figured out just how to do that with this Chickpea Hummus Wrap!
And here are the pretty picture of my Chickpea Hummus Wrap:
Chickpea Hummus Wrap
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
Time is of the essence! But don’t forget about good nutrition either! These simple chickpea hummus wraps make lunch easy, delicious and nutritious!
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- pinch teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 (8-inch) whole wheat tortilla or wrap
- 2 tablespoons plain hummus
- 1/3 cup chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- Toss the arugula with the lemon juice, black pepper and salt.
- Lay tortilla on a clean work surface. Spread the hummus down the middle of the tortilla and top with the chickpeas. Sprinkle on the pumpkin seeds and feta cheese, then the arugula mixture.
- Roll up and enjoy.
- Want more? Just multiply ingredients by desired serving size and divide everything evenly among tortillas.
This bean enthusiast loves the double whammy of hummus and chickpeas- lots of great plant protein packed into a wrap!
Nice to meet a fellow bean enthusiast! 🙂 Enjoy!
Perfect Sara! Love the quote, genius way to start :)! Your photos are looking mighty fine little lady!
I love your idea of simplifying! And I love hummus and feta, so I can’t wait to try this!
Awesome! Yes! So easy and delicious!
Ha! Yup…it does seem things would be much simpler in 1854! But, bet they didn’t eat much hummus then. So maybe things are better now! (:
Love this comment Serena! 🙂
This is gorgeous!
Awe, thanks so much Jennifer!
You know I LOVE chickpeas and hummus 🙂 Yum, yum, yum! Perfect sandwich for lunch!