Simple ingredients make a simply delicious burger. Enjoy a fun, nutritious twist on veggie burgers with these Chipotle Pumpkin Black Bean Burgers.
For the burgers:
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1–2 teaspoons ground chipotle chili
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Cilantro Cabbage Slaw:
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (green, red or both)
For the Burgers
- Place the beans in a bowl along with the pumpkin puree, garlic, chili, salt and pepper. Mix and then mash with the back of a fork. Stir in bread crumbs, oats and almonds.
- Scoop mixture in slightly packed 1/4 cup portions, then shape into patties.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and once hot, add the patties and cook 6 minutes. Flip patties over and cook an additional 6-7 minutes or until golden brown and warm througout.
- Place burgers on buns and top with cabbage slaw.
For the Cilantro Slaw
- In a blender or bowl of a small food processor, combine the cilantro, olive oil, water, garlic, salt and yogurt. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Place the shredded cabbage in the bowl and toss to combine.
Any extra burgers can be frozen in freezer-safe bags or storage containers.
- Category: Burgers