Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
What? Another quick bread recipe? Oh yes, yes it is.
You know why? It’s because my family loves a good snack, so I’m always looking for new ways to nourish them. Since pumpkin season is officially over, I’ve moved on to bananas.
Like pumpkin, bananas are incredibly versatile and add great moisture, interest and natural sweetness to baked goods. I love them for that and for the nutritional goodies they supply.
So how about I introduce you to my Chocolate Chip Banana Bread?
It’s delicious, but you might be wondering, “Why the chocolate Sara?” Well, to that I say, “Why not?” With a toddler you have to be creative, so I added just a small handful of mini-chocolate chips to the batter. The result? She loves it and I love that she eats it. A small victory for any mom! If you can find them, go with the dark chocolate mini-chocolate chips for an additional nutrition boost (hello flavonoids!).
Want more nutritional boosts? Go for it! Feel free to add some ground flax seeds, hemp seeds, chopped nuts or other goodies to the batter. Good luck and enjoy!
And here, the pretty pictures of my Chocolate Chip Banana Bread:
Banana bread made better! Whole wheat flour and mini chocolate chips make this a snack that everyone will love.
- 2 ripe medium bananas (236g)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup lightly scooped whole wheat flour (150g)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (75g)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (3g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (7g)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder (5g)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (1g)
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350’F and coat an 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the peeled bananas in a large bowl and mash the bananas with a fork. Add the oil, egg, milk, vanilla extract and sugar to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Add to the egg mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and then pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes, then remove it and slice.
- Makes 1 loaf.
- Calories: 1669
- Sugar: 93
- Sodium: 3148
- Fat: 61
- Saturated Fat: 13
- Unsaturated Fat: 46
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 255
- Protein: 31
- Cholesterol: 190