Chocolate Oat Banana Bread
‘Tis the season for pumpkins, but I’m making banana bread. Not because I don’t love pumpkins, but because I had bananas and well, you know the saying, “if you’ve got brown bananas, you must make banana bread.” What? That’s not a saying? Oh well, it is in my world. And I love bananas and banana bread as well as oats and chocolate chips – so yeah, here comes Chocolate Oat Banana Bread!
A Filling Snack
If there’s nothing I dislike more, it’s an unsatisfying snack. What’s the point? If I’m snacking, I want it to taste good and leave me feeling satisfied. Am I alone in this? I think not considering the snack industry is BOOMING and that almost all of us snack every day. But there are some pretty awful snacks out there. Foods that don’t give the energy you need to make it to the next meal. That’s why I often turn to homemade snacks, because I don’t have time for awful snacks.
Chocolate Oat Banana Bread
So, I’ve already made a recipe for banana bread. And it’s my go-to. But I love to experiment, so that’s where this bread comes into play. Because what’s awesome about cooking and baking is PLAYING. I’m actually just a giant child and still love to play, test the limits and see what happens. Fun, right? Sometimes it doesn’t work out, but sometimes it does and it’s awesome! This bread works and I really hope you can go and be a big kid in your kitchen!Print
Banana bread gets a nourishing boost with oats and flax seed! This Chocolate Oat Banana Bread makes for an awesome snack or breakfast!
- 3 large, ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk or non-dairy beverage
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup oats, pulsed a few times in a food processor or spice grinder
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350’F and coat an 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the peeled bananas in a large bowl and mash the bananas with a fork. Add the oil, egg, milk, vanilla extract and sugar to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, oats, flax, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Add to the egg mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and then pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes, then remove it and slice.
- Don’t have oat flour? You can make your own! Just process old fashioned oats in a food processor until it resembles flour. That’s it!
- It may seem like a lot of ingredients, but I promise that’s what makes this bread so delicious and filling! Give it a try and feel free to make your own adjustments too!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-50 minutes
- Category: Quick Breads