Coconut Spinach Chickpea Bowl
I kind of love beans. I kind of think they’re magical. And I think they’re VERY special in this vegetarian Coconut Spinach Chickpea Bowl. Here’s why!
There’s a reason why so many cultures use and embrace beans in their cooking. First, they are inexpensive. Second, they are loaded with nutrition. Third, they offer a unique texture. Fourth, they are super versatile. And lastly, there are so many varities which means there are so many ways to enjoy them. Beautiful!
This recipe is kind of like a mix between a chowder and a stew. You can eat it that way, or you can serve it with your favorite whole grain to make it an even more satisfying meal. Enjoy with a big, tall glass of water, because this bowl is LOADED with fiber. And you need more of that in your diet, I know you do!
Very Vegetarian (and Vegan and Gluten Free!)
It’s not super often that I make a meal that fits all of these categories, but I did it this time. So, for all of my veggie-loving, GF friends, this meal is for you! 🙂Print
If you think a veggie-forward meal isn’t filling and delicious, then you haven’t tried this Coconut Spinach Chickpea Bowl.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced ½-inch thick
- 10 ounces frozen spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can low-fat coconut milk
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat the oil in a large pot set over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots, and cook, stirring often until veggies are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook an additional 3 minutes, or until liquid has cooked off. Stir in the garlic, ginger and spices and cook one minute. Next add the tomato paste, stirring and cooking, 1 minute.
- Pour in the coconut milk and then chickpeas. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
- Before serving, add the lime juice and garnish with cilantro.