Quickly sautéed veggies piled high on whole grain bread topped with cheddar cheese then toasted in the oven.
- 1/2 loaf, 15-ounce whole wheat baguette, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices on the bias
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion (about 2 1/2 ounces), diced small
- 1/2 medium zucchini (about 5 ounces), diced small
- 1/2 medium yellow squash (about 5 ounces), diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup canned or jarred marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400’F. Line a 9×13-inch sheet pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Heat the oil in a large pan set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. (You may need to adjust the heat to prevent burning.) Stir in the zucchini, squash and salt and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and oregano and cook one more minute. Remove pan from the heat.
- Spread marinara sauce evenly over bread slices, then sprinkle with cheese. Top each slice with some of the squash mixture. Transfer pan to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese has melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil before serving.
- This recipe makes 20 pizza toasts. A great appetizer or main dish!
- Serving Size: 5
- Calories: 476
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 1034
- Fat: 23
- Saturated Fat: 11
- Unsaturated Fat: 11
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 50
- Protein: 20
- Cholesterol: 49