A super, easy-to-make dish that requires minimal prep. Your family will love these Easy Spinach and Chicken Enchiladas!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 ounces Neufchatel cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 whole wheat or other whole grain tortillas, warmed
- 1 (16 ounce) jar “thick & chunky-style” salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- ¾ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- shredded lettuce
- plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350’F. Coat a large, glass baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- To make the filling, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-6 minutes, or until the spinach is softened and liquid is cooked off. Stir in the garlic and chili powder and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the Neufchatel cheese, lime juice and green chiles. Gently stir in chicken and black beans. Remove pan from the heat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, using a stick blender or a regular blender, puree the salsa into a sauce. Set aside.
- To prepare the enchiladas: Spoon about 1/3 cup filling down the center of a tortilla. Roll up then place in the prepared pan, seam-side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture, arranging enchiladas side-by-side in the pan. Pour the pureed sauce over the enchiladas, cover the pan with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle top with cheese and bake 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve with toppings of your choice!