Every smart cook knows a great sauce makes a great meal! Learn how to make this simple Mojo Rojo sauce for weeknight dinner success!
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 dried chile pepper (such as guajillo or New Mexico), stemmed, seeded and rubbed clean with a paper towel
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the whole red pepper over the open flame on gas stove or in a hot, heavy pan. Use tongs to rotate and char on all sides. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Toast the chili pepper. If using open flame, hold pepper slightly over heat and toast like you would a marshmallow. This only takes a few seconds. If using a pan, set over medium heat and lightly press chile against the bottom of the pan. Cook until toasted, about 3 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from pan and let cool.
- Once bell pepper has cooled, use a clean paper towel to carefully remove the skin and darkest, blistered parts and discard. Seed and chop into large pieces.
- Break the chile pepper into smaller pieces and add it along with the bell pepper, garlic, cumin and paprika to a blender or small food processor. Pulse until chopped. Add olive oil and puree until there are no large pieces and mixture is pretty smooth. Stir in vinegar and salt.
Don’t feel like toasting those chiles? You can skip this step, but just know it adds a wonderful smokiness to this sauce!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sauces