A simple, yet elegant salad made with green French lentils, fresh spinach, cucumbers, parsley and feta cheese.
- 1 cup green or French lentils, picked over, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups spinach, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup seeded, diced cucumber
- 1 cup fresh parsley, cleaned, dried and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinaigrette or Italian salad dressing
- Place lentils in a medium-size pot and add water to cover by about 2 inches. Set pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir in salt and continue to simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes or until lentils are tender. Spread on a sheet pan to cool or, rinse in cool water.
- To a large salad bowl, add the cooled lentils, spinach, bell pepper, cucumber, parsley, feta cheese and cooled lentils. Drizzle dressing over the vegetables and lentils, then toss to combine. Add salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Makes 4 1/2 cups
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 175
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 307
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 23
- Protein: 10
- Cholesterol: 7