Less sugar and whole grain flour helps make these sugar cookies the perfect little treat.
For the Sugar Cookies
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the Strawberry Icing
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
- 2–3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons powdered freeze-dried strawberries*
- In a medium bowl, combine the baking powder, flours and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the butter in a large mixing or in the bowl of a stand mixer until fluffy. Add the sugar and beat until sugar is well incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the vanilla extract then gradually add the dry mixture and beat until combined.
- Divide dough in half and shape into two discs. Wrap each disc in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375’F and line 2-3 large sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator, dust a clean counter top with flour and roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using your favorite cookie cutters, cut out cookies and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until golden. Cool on racks. Repeat the process with remaining dough.
- Once completely cooled, ice the cookies.
Strawberry Icing For Cookies
- Mix all ingredients together, thinning with extra milk, if needed.
- *You can find freeze-dried strawberries in the dried fruit section of your grocery store. To turn into a powder, either blitz in a coffee or spice grinder or place in a plastic bag and roll over with a rolling pin.
- This makes 88 cookies when using a small cookie cutter. Note amount will vary based on the size cutter you use.
- Serving Size: 88
- Calories: 39
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 16
- Fat: 1
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Protein: 1
- Cholesterol: 8