In A Rush? Try this Hummus Sandwich!
Why I made this recipe: Because I need things to be simple sometimes, yet I also want them to taste good and be relatively healthy. I mean, who doesn’t want that? Or, should I say, why wouldn’t we all want that!?
Why I love this recipe: It requires no cooking which means my kitchen (and all of those in it) stay cool. It’s quick and easy to put together, something your kids could definitely help you do. It’s loaded with flavor, especially if you use a delicious hummus that’s loaded with good things like veggies or garlic. I also love it because I utilized a simple restaurant trick of dressing the greens before putting them in this sandwich. Yum, it’s a step you shouldn’t skip!
How this recipe is healthy: It seems I am turning into a bit of a vegetarian these days. Or maybe I am just having a summer love affair with vegetables? I can’t help it, they are so good. So, this recipe is loaded with healthy, nutrient-rich vegetables and accented with a tiny bit of full-flavored feta cheese. The dressing on the greens is made from olive oil (yay to unsaturated fat!) and the hummus is a great spread that adds flavor without adding excessive calories and fat. Pile it all on some seriously delicious, whole-grain bread, and you’ve got yourself a winning dish that would make any dietitian (or mom) proud!
And here are the pretty pictures:
The Fast Veggie & Hummus Sandwich
A simple sandwich loaded with fresh vegetables, hummus and feta cheese.
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups baby spinach or arugula leaves
- 8 slices whole wheat bread (use good, hearty bread for this)
- 1 cup hummus (plain, roasted red pepper, garlic, whatever!)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 cup sliced tomato
- In the bottom of a mixing bowl, combine the mustard, vinegar and garlic. Whisk in the olive oil and season with black pepper. Add the spinach or arugula and toss to coat.
- If desired, lightly toast the bread slices. Lay out the bread slices on a clean surface and spread 1 tablespoon of hummus onto each slice. On half of the slices, add the feta, cucumber, spinach and tomatoes. Top with other bread slice and serve.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 669
- Fat: 17
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 12
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 42
- Protein: 13
- Cholesterol: 8
I love a good hummus and veggie sandwich. It’s my favourite way to eat hummus. The feta goes so well with it too.
Yes! Hummus and veggie sandwiches are one of my favorite go-to lunches! Sounds great with the mustard and vinegar…yum!