Hearty whole grain pizza dough topped with a spicy red chile sauce, black beans and fresh vegetables.
- 2 dried ancho chiles, washed, stems and seeds removed
- 2 dried Guajillo chiles, washed, stems and seeds removed
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain pizza dough or 1 large pre-made whole wheat pizza crust
- 1 cup black beans (canned or cooked from dry)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded, sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and seeded, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 jalapeno, sliced thinly into rounds
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
To Make the Red Chile Sauce
- Set a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chiles to the pan and toast until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer the toasted chiles to a bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the chiles sit until softened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the chiles from the water and tear into pieces. Place the torn chiles in a blender along with 1 cup of the soaking liquid. Puree until mixture is smooth.
- Set the skillet (you can use the same one that you used to toast the chiles) over medium-low heat. Add the oil and once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the pureed chile sauce and cook an additional 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with lime juice and salt. Note: If a smoother consistency is desired, transfer mixture back to the blender and process until smooth. Use caution with hot liquids.
To Make the Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 425’F.
- Shape the pizza dough into a circle between 14 and 16-inches in diameter and place on a large sheet of parchment paper. Spread a 1/2 cup of the chile mixture over the crust in an even layer. Top the pizza with the black beans, bell peppers and cheese. Arrange jalapeño slices on top of the cheese. Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese bubbly and lightly browned.
- Remove pizza from the oven and garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions. Slice and serve.
- This recipe makes more sauce than you will need. That’s ok, because it freezes well or you can use to as a topping for your next batch of tacos or enchiladas.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 479
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 351
- Fat: 13
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 71
- Protein: 19
- Cholesterol: 30