My Mushroom Bolognese
Listen, I love a good meat sauce, but sometimes, I don’t want meat sauce. I want veggies. But I want those veggies to be just as delicious as that meat. Possible? Oh yes! Just try My Mushroom Bolognese and I think you’ll agree!
Don’t Make That Bolognese Vegetarian!
Oh my gosh, I know! I’m a terrible. Why would I do such a thing!? I can hear 99% of you yelling at me for doing this. But, honestly, this mushroom-veggie bolognese is freaking delicious! I kid you not! And while I love a good meat-filled bolognese, this one will always rank high on my list of favorite pasta dishes!
Should I Try It Sara?
Of course you should! Because even my husband, who strongly dislikes (we don’t use the word “hate” in our house) mushrooms, LOVED it! If that’s not enough to get you to try it, well, then I don’t know what is!
Grab the Recipe & Get Cooking!
So grab the recipe below and put the ingredients on your shopping list. Cook up this pasta and enjoy with a big, delicious salad. And then sit back, take a pic of your happy belly and send it to me! 🙂
Meat is great, but plant-based meals are where it’s at! And I bet you won’t miss the meat with this super flavorful Mushroom Bolognese!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 medium ribs celery, finely diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (and up to 4 Tbsp)
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti or fettuccini
- 1 cup fresh basil, torn
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Add a pinch of salt and cook until vegetables are softened, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Turn the heat down to medium and add the tomato paste. Cook until dark red, about 2-3 minutes. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pot to remove any bits (fond). Cook until wine is reduced to almost nothing, about 5 minutes. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning along with the salt and pepper. Cover partially with a lid and turn heat down so that sauce is simmering. Cook for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water following package directions, until al dente. Reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water before draining.
- Stir the cream, ¼ cup parmesan cheese and reserved pasta water into the sauce. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Portion pasta into bowls and garnish with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Vegetarian
- Cuisine: Italina
Keywords: vegetarian, bolognese, mushrooms