Meat is great, but plant-based meals are where it’s at! And I bet you won’t miss the meat with this super flavorful Mushroom Bolognese!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 medium ribs celery, finely diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (and up to 4 Tbsp)
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti or fettuccini
- 1 cup fresh basil, torn
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Add a pinch of salt and cook until vegetables are softened, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Turn the heat down to medium and add the tomato paste. Cook until dark red, about 2-3 minutes. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pot to remove any bits (fond). Cook until wine is reduced to almost nothing, about 5 minutes. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning along with the salt and pepper. Cover partially with a lid and turn heat down so that sauce is simmering. Cook for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water following package directions, until al dente. Reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water before draining.
- Stir the cream, ¼ cup parmesan cheese and reserved pasta water into the sauce. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Portion pasta into bowls and garnish with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
- Category: Vegetarian
- Cuisine: Italina
Keywords: vegetarian, bolognese, mushrooms