Some people don’t see over-ripe, bruised fruits as having any potential. Not me! I see them as an opportunity! Case in point, I had a peach (leftover from my last post) and a banana sitting on my counter looking quite sad, but still viable. Knowing I needed to act fast, I did a little brainstorming and heeded the warning from my growling stomach, and decided upon a smoothie.
Luckily for me, it was fit the bill for what I was craving. I love the subtle flavor of the peach and the sweetness of the blueberries and banana. Adding the flax seed was a way to get some healthy fats and additional fiber in. And spinach just seems like an easy thing to add and I always enjoy the thought of drinking my spinach. For some reason, I think that’s fun. Yes, I am a little quirky like that.
I have to say it was a hit at my house. I enjoyed mine and had even more fun watching my 2 1/2 year old enjoy hers. So next time you see fruit on your counter and you’re considering tossing it, I challenge you to use it instead. Most fruits make a great base for smoothies, and if you happen to have a peach and banana lying around, try my recipe for Pe-anna-berry Smoothie!
A delightful way to start the day or finish a workout. Bursting with fruit, flax seed and even a little spinach. Why not make what you’re sipping a little more nutritious!
- 1 cup almond milk (or any other milk, preferably low-fat)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 ripe peach, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup ice
- 1 tablespoon honey (if desired)
- Place the milk, spinach, flax, peach, banana and blueberries into a blender and pulse until combined. Add the yogurt and ice (and honey, if desired) and puree until smooth.
- Pour into a fun glass and enjoy! (Fun glass is of course optional)
- Makes 3 cups.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 219
- Sugar: 30
- Sodium: 59
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 41
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 4