Pistachio Strawberry Pancakes
Sometimes I need change. It’s not that I don’t love regular, plain-old pancakes. I do. But there’s just something magical and fun about trying something new! So when a bag of pistachios was glaring at me in my pantry, I knew I needed to do something about it. I grabbed those pistachios and created something I like to call Pistachio Strawberry Pancakes.
Pistachio Strawberry Pancakes
I bet you’ve never seen that combo in a pancake! And if you have, please message me immediately. 🙂 It’s a combo that works and it happens to work especially well in pancakes. Why? Well, pistachios have a slightly sweet taste and so do strawberries (freeze-dried). Too much sweet is a problem, but since they’re both subtly sweet, it’s perfection. Plus, turning the pistachios into “flour” makes even the biggest doubter re-consider these pancakes!
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner or Snack
The other awesome thing about these pancakes is that they are perfect as a meal or as a snack. This is great news, right? Who wouldn’t love to snack on a pancake? The reason they rock as a snack is because you’ve got an awesome balance of protein, fat and whole grains. Totally satisfying! Those same reasons also make it an excellent meal. You’re in love too, I just know it.
Take it Easy
More good news! I know, it’s almost too much! LOL! The other good news is that making these is super simple. It doesn’t require a million ingredients or a ton of your time. And if you make a big batch, you can freeze them and have them any time you want them. Fantastic!
Now it’s your turn to make these Pistachio Strawberry Pancakes and see what I mean! If you try them, I’d love to hear from you! Drop your thoughts or questions below in the comments section. And cheers to change! Especially when it comes to pancakes!
Add a touch of natural sweetness to your pancakes with pistachios and freeze dried strawberries!
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup pistachios (ground to flour, see note)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or other vegetable/canola oil)
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries, crushed
- oil or butter, as needed, for cooking
- maple syrup or fresh fruit, for serving
- Place the flour, ground pistachios, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the sugar, milk, orange juice, egg and oil to a separate mixing bowl and whisk together. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in strawberries.
- Set a skillet or griddle over medium heat and lightly coat with oil or butter. Once hot, add the batter, 1/4 cup at a time, to the pan. Cook pancakes for about 3 minutes or until bubbles begin to form, then flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Continue with the remaining batter.
- Top with maple syrup or fresh fruit and enjoy
To grind pistachios to flour, place them in a spice/coffee grinder (or small food processor) and pulse until finely ground and no large pieces remain.