Add a touch of natural sweetness to your pancakes with pistachios and freeze dried strawberries!
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup pistachios (ground to flour, see note)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or other vegetable/canola oil)
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries, crushed
- oil or butter, as needed, for cooking
- maple syrup or fresh fruit, for serving
- Place the flour, ground pistachios, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the sugar, milk, orange juice, egg and oil to a separate mixing bowl and whisk together. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in strawberries.
- Set a skillet or griddle over medium heat and lightly coat with oil or butter. Once hot, add the batter, 1/4 cup at a time, to the pan. Cook pancakes for about 3 minutes or until bubbles begin to form, then flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Continue with the remaining batter.
- Top with maple syrup or fresh fruit and enjoy
To grind pistachios to flour, place them in a spice/coffee grinder (or small food processor) and pulse until finely ground and no large pieces remain.