There’s carrot cake and then there’s CARROT BUNDT CAKE. I’m pretty sure you’re going to love this delicious bundt version of a classic!
For the cake:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups finely grated carrot (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces (optional)
For the Simple Syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the Glaze
- 4 ounces neufchâtel cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk (+ extra if needed for a thinner consistency)
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350’F. Butter and flour a 10-inch bundt cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla extract until fluffy. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and blend until just combined. Fold in the carrots, zest and walnuts, if using. Don’t over-mix. Bake cake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes on a rack. Run a toothpick or wooden skewer along the side of the pan gently, to help with removing the cake. Place the rack on top of the cake, then carefully flip over, invert the pan and pray that the cake comes out! Ha! Just kidding, it will!
- Allow to cool to room temperature on the rack before adding simple syrup and glaze.
For the simple syrup:
- To a small saucepan, add the water and the sugar. Set the pan over medium-low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved fully in the water.
- Remove from the heat and let cool a few minutes.
- Using a pastry brush or other food-safe brush, brush the cake with the simple syrup. Make sure you get the sides too! Let cool again for a few minutes before glazing.
To make the glaze:
- To a medium mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and beat for about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar at a time, fully incorporating it into the cream cheese before adding the next half cup. Once all of the sugar has been added, beat in the vanilla and milk. Thin with additional milk, if needed, to make a glaze that can be easily drizzled over the cake. If making rainbow glaze, divide glaze among 3 to 4 bowls. Add desired food coloring and mix until blended.
- Drizzle glaze all over cake.