Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cookies are a necessary part of life. Correction, cookies are a necessary part of my life. No matter how I’m feeling, a cookie is always a good thing. And a cookie with extra chocolate in it is an even better thing – helllllloooo Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies!
My Cookie History
Do you believe I have a cookie history? I do, I mean, doesn’t everybody? Here’s the low-down on my cookie history.
- As a kid – My mom sometimes allowed us to make cookies. Super emphasis on “sometimes.” More often we bought them. But my grandma ALWAYS made them. Yay grandma!
- As a young 20 something – My husband and I would “treat” ourselves to 1 or 2 rainbow chocolate chip cookies from a popular name brand cookie company. This brought us great joy.
- As a super cool wife and mother 🙂 – Buy cookies? Why would I do that!? I make them now and it’s a rare day that you won’t find a batch in my freezer. See, super cool, right?
Making Those Chocolate Chips Cookies Better
While those rainbow cookies of my 20-something days were pretty amazing, I never loved their long ingredient list and amount of saturated fat. I try not to ramble on about nutrition here, but sometimes, things really irk me. Long ingredient lists and saturated fat really bother me. So, when my husband and I were reminiscing about those cookies, I thought, heck, I can make those things and I can make them better. Not because I’m awesome, but because when you make things from scratch, you can control what goes in there. Awesome, right? So that’s what I did. Are they healthy? No. Are they better than store bought? Yes.
Cookies! Cookies! Cookies!
What did I do to make these better than those store bought options? I swapped out some of the all purpose flour for white whole wheat flour. I decreased the amount of sugar and I made them smaller. Those little things are minor, but make a big difference. So, now it’s your turn! Give this recipe a try and let me know your thoughts below! Happy baking!
Toasted Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 30 cookies 1x
Pecans and chocolate are perfection! Especially in cookie form! Make a double batch of these Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies because they’ll be gone before you know it!
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted whole pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup candy-coated chocolates
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, whip the butter until creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the brown sugar and the granulated sugar. Blend about 1-2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined, about 20 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again, then add the flour mixture. Blend on low speed until just combined. Add the pecans, chocolate chips and candy-coated chocolates and mix until just combined.
- At this point, I highly recommend wrapping the dough in wax paper or parchment and refrigerate for 24 hours. Chilling helps prevent the cookies from spreading while baking.
- Once you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350’F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop dough using a tablespoon measuring spoon, on the prepared cookie sheets, a couple of inches apart from each other. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool slightly on the pan before moving to a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
Double the batch and freeze half!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 24 minutes
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: cookies, pecans, chocolate chip cookies
Homemade cookies are SOOOO much better than store bought!! I’m sure you’re the BEST mom (not only for) always having some around!!!
Awe, thanks so much Chelsey! They are so much better than store bought!
chocolate chip cookies are a childhood favorite of mine, too! and my kids will always go for a cookie with those colorful chocolate bites in them… love these!
Something about that pop of color just makes them more delicious! 🙂 Hope your kids (and you!) like them!
These look so much better than the packaged ones! And they’re so much fun too. My girls would think I was super cool too if I made them a batch!
When I’m feeling pretty “uncool” with her, I make these. 😉 Good luck!
Delicious Sara!! Intrigued to know where you & Mr. Haas used to buy cookies from!!
Ha! They were a popular brand of cookies. They’re still around, but I don’t buy them anymore. 😉