Looking for a super delicious, vegetarian dish that satisfies? Look no further than this Red Lentil Dal!
- 1 cup dry red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 to 2 red chile peppers, split
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2-inch piece of ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon whole cumin seed
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Place the lentils and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until very soft, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook, stirring often, until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger and cumin seed and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the coriander and turmeric and cook 1 more minute.
- Whisk lentils then add the onion and spice mixture. Stir to combine. Add lemon juice then season to taste with salt. Garnish with cilantro.