Restaurant Worthy Fancy Toast
Are you watching Top Chef at all this season? If not, you should be! I love the creativity of this season’s chef’s and Carrie is becoming my big-time favorite! In fact, this recipe, is a riff on the recipe she made last week. She lovingly calls it “Fancy Toast,” so I’m calling it that too. Because really, anytime you top toast with more than just butter it becomes “fancy,” right?
But First, Toast.
That’s right, toast is the first thing I grab in the morning. Even before the coffee is made, I’m throwing two slices of bread in my toaster. It’s a love affair that’s been going on for years. What’s hilarious is that I’m always preaching about variety, but I seriously eat the same thing every day for breakfast. Two slices of toast with peanut butter and jelly. What am I, 5 years old? Well, no, but I DO have a 5 year old, so does that count? In all seriousness though, toast is good stuff and I’m glad that people are finally appreciating it!
Fancy Toast is A Thing!
It is, and you might as well get used to it. You can go to almost any restaurant and get some version of fancy toast. Essentially, fancy toast, is a thick-cut piece of bread, toasted and topped with any myriad of ingredients. I’ve seen it topped with caviar!!! What!? It’s true! And really, that’s what’s so great about it. You can take humble slice of bread and turn it into something beautiful and magical! #ilovetoast
Tell Me about This Toast, Sara!
Oh, yes, of course I’ll tell you about it. This one is a riff off of what Carrie made in last week’s Top Chef episode. I loved everything about it! Super simple, yet full of flavor. She topped her toast with goat cheese, candied pecans, figs, arugula and a drizzle of lavender-infused honey. Lovely, right? I went a similar route, but chose pistachios and apricots for no other reason except that I like them and I have them all the time at my house. And I kept that lavender honey, because it is dreamy and should not be missed. Don’t worry, I tell you how to do all of it below! Happy Toasting! 🙂
Restaurant Worthy Fancy Toast
- Yield: 4 toasts 1x
Why pay 10 dollars at a restaurant what you can easily make at home? You’ll love this delicious, Fancy Toast recipe that won’t break the bank!
For the bread:
- 4 slices, thick-cut (about 1 inch) rustic bread
- 2 teaspoons butter
For the pistachios:
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons water
- ½ cup unsalted pistachios, shelled
For the lavender honey:
- ¼ cup mild-flavored or clover honey
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- ¼ cup goat cheese, softened
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 4 dried apricot halves, chopped
- To cook the bread: Place a 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Add the butter. Once melted, swirl the pan with the melted butter and add bread. Cook about 2 minutes, pressing down with a large spatula occasionally to evenly brown the bread. Flip, swipe bread in the remaining butter in the pan, press down with a spatula and cook another 2 minutes.
- To make the candied pistachios: Place the brown sugar, salt and water in a 12-inch skillet. Mix together and cook over medium heat until bubbly. Add the pistachios and cook 1 minute, stirring often. Carefully remove the pistachios from the skillet and transfer to a parchment paper (or foil that’s been coated in nonstick spray)—lined wire rack to cool.
- To make the lavender honey: Place the honey in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Stir in the lavender. Cook until bubbles just start to rise from the bottom, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To serve: Spread goat cheese over the tops of the toasted bread. Top with arugula, apricots, pistachios and a drizzle of lavender honey. Serve immediately.
Check the bulk section of your grocery store to find lavender. If they don’t have it, don’t sweat it! Instead, find a lovely local honey that you love and just use that!
This looks amazing Sara! I love the sweet and savory and creamy and crunchy all in one! I used to watch Top Chef religiously, but haven’t watched the past few seasons. Guess I need to go back to it!
So glad you like it Jessica! And this season of Top Chef has been so good! So much talent! Go back to it, you’ll love it!