- 120 grams all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 120 grams white whole wheat flour (about 1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 105 grams granulated sugar (about ½ cup)
- 1 large egg
- 227 grams milk (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup fat (I like to use ¼ cup melted, cooled butter and ¼ cup canola oil)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chopped strawberries
- ¾ cup whole blueberries
- turbinado or sanding sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400’F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk the flours, salt, baking powder and sugar together in a large bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, butter/oil and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and gently stir, using a wooden spoon or spatula, until just combined. Don’t over-mix! Batter will be lumpy and that’s totally fine! Gently fold in the berries with a spatula. Sprinkle tops with sugar.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden on top and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool on a rack, in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan, place on the rack and either enjoy or allow them to continue to cool.