Simple Blueberry Summer Salad
Once upon a time I went to a blueberry farm. It was 10000 degrees and I loved every minute of it. Let me tell you about it and this truly magical Blueberry Summer Salad.
Have you ever gone blueberry picking? If not, you must! And if you’re smart, you’ll choose a place that just focuses on blueberries. To me, that means they’re 100% dedicated to what they’re growing and they want to share their pride and joy with you! Save the petting zoos and mazes for pumpkin picking.
If you live in the midwest, you have the unique pleasure of viewing “Pure Michigan” commercials that run every season. Each one makes you wish you could immediately take a trip to Michigan so that you too can experience the magnificent things they feature on these commercials. The best part about Pure Michigan though, is their blueberries! OH MY! I have never been disappointed by Michigan’s bountiful harvest! So, if you’re in the midwest, believe the hype – Pure Michigan has the blueberries you want!
My Picking Experience
It wasn’t ideal weather-wise. In fact, it was hot and the bushes were all in the sun. But guess who didn’t care? Yep! Me! I enjoyed every sweaty moment. My husband had to literally pull me away from the bushes because I just couldn’t get enough. Honestly, I think it was because I live in a big city and I’d never gone blueberry picking before. There was something so magical about picking the fruit I was actually going to eat. I think it was also because I love food. And this was a food connection. I wanted to absorb every moment. And I did.
Blueberry Summer Salad
To celebrate all of those beautiful blueberries, I decided to make this Blueberry Summer Salad. If you’ve got cornbread (or even if you don’t), make your croutons out of it! It’s easy! Just dice it up, toss it with a little olive oil and bake at 300’F until golden and dry, about 30-40 minutes. Trust me, it’s worth it! And the dressing is super simple. You know me, I just love putting it all in a blender and pureeing! So enjoy this one friends! Hopefully it’s something you can have all summer!
Blueberry Summer Salad
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
A salad with fruit is pure summer perfection! I love this one that’s loaded with fresh blueberris and a blueberry vinaigrette.
For the dressing:
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon chili oil (or a 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper)
- 2 tablespoons avocado or canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Salad:
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 4 cups croutons, preferably whole grain or cornbread
To make the dressing:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small food processor and puree until smooth.
To assemble the salad
- Add the lettuce, cucumber and pepper to a large bowl and toss with 1/2 of the salad dressing.
- Portion among plates and garnish with feta cheese, blueberries and croutons. Serve remaining dressing on the side.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad