Marinate your vegetables! Try my recipe for simple Marinated Grilled Vegetables that uses tons of flavor but doesn’t require a lot of work.
- 1 large shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon + 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves)
- 1 ½ pounds summer squash, sliced to 1/3 to ½-inch thickness*
- salt, to season
- Preheat the oven to 400’F. Place the peeled shallot and garlic on a small piece of foil (should be large enough to fold up around the sides to make a pouch) and drizzle with 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil. Use clean fingers to ensure everything is coated in oil. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Place the roasted shallot and garlic in a small food processor, along with the remaining oil, the balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard and black pepper. Blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl or a large, resealable bag. Add the vegetables and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- When ready to grill, preheat it to medium-high. Clean the grates then lightly coat with oil. Drain vegetables from marinade, reserve marinade, and grill 5-6 minutes, flipping once halfway through cooking time.
- Remove from the grill and toss with a little bit of the reserved marinade.
*Use 1 1/2 pounds of any of your favorite vegetables. Just be sure to cut them all about the same size. Cooking times may very based on water content of vegetables.