Slow Roasted Tomatoes Toast
Tomatoes are awesome, but slow roasted tomatoes are awesome-er! Especially when you put them on toast with fresh basil and mozzarella! Let me tell you about it!
Give me all of the Tomatoes!
Funny, but true story…I used to reallllllllly dislike tomatoes. Like, they repulsed me. Something about all of that juice and all of those seeds. And don’t get me started on that spongy inside stuff! Ha! See, I wasn’t lying when I told you they repulsed me. Oh wait, I didn’t say that, I said I realllllllly disliked them! 🙂 Luckily, I got older and realized what a fool I had been. Because tomatoes are pure GOLD!
Tomatoes = Gold!
That’s right, after years of turning my nose up at tomatoes, I finally came around! Now I’m addicted! I love them fresh, I love them canned and I absolutely adore them slow roasted! There’s something so amazing about taking a food, sticking it in an oven for a bit and having the flavor change completely. It’s the best kind of magic if you ask me!
Why Cherry Tomatoes?
I love using cherry tomatoes for this Slow Roasted Tomatoes Toast because they cook evenly (they’re all about the same size!) and they end up so darn sweet, they almost could be eaten for dessert! You could certainly use other tomatoes, but the smaller versions are the ones I’ve found work the best. Plus, they sit so nicely on that toast!
You’re drooling, right? You have to be! This recipe is so ridiculously easy and most of it is pretty hands-off. Get the tomatoes started about 1 hour before you’re ready to eat. Everything else comes together quickly! Pair with some grilled chicken or fish to round out the meal.
Tomatoes are awesome, but slow roasted tomatoes are awesome-er! Especially when you put them on toast with fresh basil and mozzarella!
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper + more for garnish
- 1/2 baguette, sliced on the bias and toasted
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375’F.
- Toss the tomatoes with the olive oil, garlic, salt and black pepper. Pour into a small baking dish and bake 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 275’F and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Place toasts on a serving plate and top each with a bit of basil and mozzarella. Spoon tomato mixture onto toasts. Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper and serve immediately.
How I like to toast my baguette:
Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil or other oil in a cast-iron pan over medium heat. Add toast slices and cook until golden on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: toasts, tomatoes